Learn2sail.ca - Grassrootssailing.com - Sailoffshore.ca - Network
Learn 2 Sail
Money, strived for, may grow with time.
Time well spent, is the true measure of a lifes worth.
Welcome Anonymous
Home Forums Register
December 20, 2011 03:19 PM EST

P.C.O.C. Card

Author: angusever. 5999 Reads
  Print this page   Export to PDF format   Mail to a friend

In most cases Grassroots Sailing School includes the Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC) instruction exam with the Basic Cruising Standard theory. From time to time we will offer a standalone PCOC course if there is a demand. Because we are an accredited Canadian Yachting Association School (CYA) we offer the Transport Canada approved Spark Start PCOC program.
Previously any person of any age could legally operate any vessel with any size engine! To reduce the number of boating accidents, government legislation has established new parameters determining who may operate what type of vessel - and what standard they must achieve.
If you operate any power-driven vessel - even a Personal Water Craft (PWC) - you'll be required by law to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card. You may choose to take a full course, a refresher course or simply challenge the test.

For more information see "Regulations" below
The basic requirement is to successfully obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card accredited by Transport Canadasuch as the CYA "S*P*A*R*K START" program offered by an Ontario Sailing Member Club, School, Camp or Marina Advisor.(Ontario Sailing Member Organizations)

The power boat operator will then be registered with the Canadian Yachting Association and issued a card. The operator must carry the card whenever operating a boat (much like an automobile driver's license).
Age and power restrictions
Under 12, unaccompanied by someone 16 or older, maximum engine power 7.5 kw (10 hp).

· 12 - 15, unaccompanied by someone 16 or older, maximum power 30 kw (40 hp).

· People under 16 may not operate a personal water craft.
Competency regulations
· All Youth born after April 1, 1983 are NOW required to carry the card.

· As of Sept. 15, 2002, anyone operating a powered recreational vessel less than 4 meters (13 feet) in length

(including personal water craft) must obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

· As of Sept. 15, 2009. all powerboat operators must obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

· Previously-taken boating safety courses may be recognized, and experienced boaters may take a challenge test without taking a course. Contact Ontario Sailing or your course provider for more information.

· Foreign visitors with a pleasure boat in Canada will be granted a grace period of 45 consecutive days. · People renting a vessel must complete a dockside checklist.

Operators must obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card and carry it with them at all times while operating a power boat!
You may no longer Grandfather a Pleasure Craft Operator Card!
Please see below for a few frequently asked questions from the Transport Canada website and a link to their page:
Will boaters who have previously taken a boating safety course be required to take another course or test?

Those who have taken a boating safety course prior to April 1, 1999 will not be required to take another course or test. A copy of a certificate or a card issued at the completion of courses taken prior to April 1, 1999 will need to be carried on board the pleasure craft.
Can I exchange my certificate for a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

No. The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations cleary state that a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is a document issued to a person by the administrator of an accredited test, to a person that has passed the test. Therefore, a card cannot be issued unless an accredited test has been passed.
What should I do if I receive training prior to April 1, 1999 and my certificate does not show a completion date?

If the course provider that issued the certificate is still in existence, you can contact them to issue you a certificate showing the appropriate completion date. Otherwise, you will need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
Transport Canada Overview
The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require all operators of pleasure craft fitted with any type of motor and used for recreational purposes to carry proof of competency on board.* Proof of competency indicates the boater has a basic level of boating safety knowledge required for safe recreational boating. In the past, anyone of any age could operate a recreational boat without any minimum boating safety knowledge, experience or training. These requirements were introduced in 1999 in response to boating deaths and injuries, with the goal of improving safety on Canadian waterways through education and training.
Proof of competency can be any of the following:
• A Pleasure Craft Operator Card - this is the most common proof, obtained after passing an accredited boating safety test

• Proof of having passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999

• A specified marine certificate from the List of Certificates of Competency, Training
Certificates and other Equivalencies accepted as Proof of Competency when Operating a Pleasure Craft

• A completed rental-boat safety checklist – good only for the rental period

• For Foreign Visitors, an operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their own state or country.

Copyright © by Learn to Sail
All rights reserved.

Category: Main Linked Pages
Tags: None
Bookmark: Share/Save/Bookmark

[ Go Back ]
Learn2sail.ca Services

What do you think about this site?

Ummmm, not bad
The best one!
What is this?


Votes 729
Windswept for sale click here
Home |  About Us |  Legal Notice |  Privacy Policy |  Terms of Use |  FAQ |  Credits
Powered by: RavenNuke